KENNARD, TEXAS. The site of Kennard, at the junction of State Highway 7 and Farm Roads 2781 and 357, sixteen miles east of Crockett in eastern Houston County, was settled in the 1850s. The community was established in 1899 and existed primarily to support the logging industry. The Kennard Independent School district was formed in 1974, consolidating forty-seven east Houston County schools. Currently, the district covers 319 square miles and is comprised of approximately 260 students.